Milwaukee’s Festival City Symphony (FCS) announces an opening for the position of Operations Director, to begin January 1, 2018.
The Operations Director position requires a detail-oriented person who will handle daily operations responsibilities, manage customer relations, oversee budget, coordinate with artistic and administrative staff, and supervise public relations. Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access are recommended. Minimal grant writing will be involved.
FCS hires a PR firm, so specific public relation activities would be influenced by the particular skill set of the applicant.
Festival City Symphony, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit classical symphony orchestra since 1994, is composed of area professional musicians and presents free or low-cost programs, frequently collaborating with well-known local artists, arts educators, and children’s performing groups. We welcome the newcomer and symphony enthusiast alike to our seven-concert season, which includes four ticketed concerts for general audiences that feature a pre-concert children’s activity session and three free concerts for children, hosted by a music educator.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by October 31, 2017.
Please submit to:
Linda Jones, Executive Director
Job will commence January 1, 2018
Festival City Symphony’s Operations Director will perform the following duties:
- Inform and communicate with managers and technical and security personnel of rehearsal and performance hall sites
- Contract for rehearsal hall and performance hall rental
- Assign and supervise board members or other volunteers in projects such as hosting reception table at either concert cycle; distributing printed brochures and fliers; coordinating projects such as Girl Scout Day at the Symphony; implementing a benefit event
- With board approval, set up and maintain operating budget with FCS accountant
- Negotiate and create Independent Contractor Agreements with guest artists
- Manage, in conjunction with FCS accountant, payment for all independent contractors, including musicians, conductors, librarians, guest artists, program hosts, etc.
- Submit Endowment requests through the Greater Milwaukee Foundation
- Write grants for CAMPAC and UPAF funding
- Coordinate with Personnel Manager regarding all rehearsal and concert scheduling
- Handle the purchase of liability insurance, copyright licenses, and memberships
- Handle all customer relations: Person the office phone, screen and return calls, maintain FCS greeting message; respond to email messages. FCS will provide phone/fax; computer and printer/copier and pay for all service and maintenance.
- Maintain FCS subscriber list
- Handle “Family Coupon” production and purchases, group sales, and comp ticket offers
- Set up or supervise the setup of the reception/display table at all concerts
- Prepare program copy for Marcus Promotions for “Footlights” programs for the Pabst concerts
- Maintain historical and legal records
- Report to board meetings
- Supervise Festival City Symphony’s PR agency, including approve press releases, oversee production and mailing of season brochure, and coordinate website and Facebook maintenance
- Oversee musicians participating in the UPAF Employee Giving Campaign chamber performances and see that they are reimbursed
- Prepare and distribute promo coupon or ticket give-away packets for broadcast media and organizations seeking donation items for fundraising auctions.
- Supervise FCS photographer and maintain photo library
Depending on the strengths and time constraints of the candidate, numbers 5 – 8 below may be shared with Festival City Symphony’s PR agency:
- Create, produce, and distribute all announcement fliers, both electronic and hard copies
- Compose “Constant Contact” newsletter and send to email patrons prior to each concert
- Handle all print and radio ads, including making decisions on advertising venue; negotiating contracts; composing/approving ad copy; providing clip art and photos
- Field requests for ad placements in our programs or negotiate trade ads
Operations Director as Independent Contractor
The Operations Director’s (OD) relationship to FCS is that of independent contractor and not employee. As an independent contractor, the OD is responsible for all federal, state and FICA taxes as a result of his/her compensation from FCS. He/she will be issued Federal Form 1099 at the end of each fiscal year for reporting to the IRS and to the state of Wisconsin. He/she is not entitled to unemployment compensation payments from FCS. The compensation he/she will be receiving will be full and complete payment for his/her work. The OD shall not be required to work any set number of hours and may work in any places he/she chooses, as long as in the process, he/she maintains the FCS business phone line and responds to calls/emails/social media messages sent from customers.